FB - New School
The Derry Cooperative School District is excited to propose the construction of a new school to replace the aging Derry Village Elementary and South Range Elementary. This new school represents more than just bricks and mortar; it embodies hope, progress, and the unwavering commitment to providing the next generation with the best possible learning environment. The shared vision for a nurturing, stimulating, and inclusive educational space unites the community, fostering a sense of unity and pride as they eagerly anticipate the doors of this new elementary school opening to welcome students into a world of boundless opportunities.
In order to prepare for the Warrant Article #3 vote on March 12 at the polls, we invite you to explore the flyer below for details about the proposed new elementary school including information about:
- Student Opportunities
- Cost and Value
- Community Investment
03. Shall the Derry Cooperative School District vote to raise and appropriate the sum of SEVENTY ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS ($71,200,000) for the purpose of financing the costs for the design, construction and original equipping of a new elementary school building and related improvements and the demolition of the existing elementary school building on School District owned property; SEVENTY ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS ($71,200,000) to be raised through the issuance of bonds or notes under and in compliance with the Municipal Finance Act, RSA 33:1 et seq., as amended; to authorize the School Board to issue, negotiate, sell and deliver said bonds and notes and to determine the rate of interest thereon and the maturity and other terms thereof; to authorize the School Board to apply for, accept and expend federal, state or other aid, if any, which may be available for said project and to comply with all laws applicable to said project; and to authorize the School Board to take any other action or to pass any other vote relative thereto and to further raise and appropriate the additional sum of ONE MILLION SEVEN HUNDRED EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLARS ($1,780,000) for the first year’s payment on the first year bond. 3/5 ballot vote required. (Recommended by the Derry School Board)
The following information is based on current valuation and interest rates and only serves to show an example of the tax impact associated with this bond issue.
On Monday, November 6, 2023 the Derry Cooperative School District held a community forum to unveil the New School Presentation at Derry Village Elementary.
This special event was an opportunity for parents, teachers, and community members to be part of an engaging presentation unveiling the future of education in our district. We showcased plans and encouraged questions and comments regarding the plan.
A follow up meeting was held at South Range Elementary on November 20, 2023.
A third and final community forum was held at West Running Brook Elementary on February 20, 2024
- Repair to Derry Village Elementary and South Range Elementary far outweigh the cost of building a new building.
- Improved state of the art learning environments
- A new building can better accommodate current instructional trends.
- The land is centrally located and large enough to handle the needs of the district.
- Two story structure
- Attention to traffic patterns for buses and cars
Where would the new school be located?
The new school would be located on the property of the current Derry Village Elementary.
Why build a new school instead of renovating the current school(s)?
Due to the amount of repairs, building a new facility is more cost effective than repairing the two existing schools.
Will there be more redistricting when the new school is built?
Yes, there will need to be more redistricting when the new school is built.